Find Happiness Helping Others
Have you ever experienced that boost of positivity after making a difference in someone’s day? Academic studies show that charitable behaviour generates benefits for those who act altruistically. Yes, you can find happiness and well-being by helping others.
Now, imagine that you can share these benefits with your friends, family members, coworkers, classmates, and other people in your circles. By creating a fundraising event, you support a cause you care about, lend a helping hand to those in need, and offer others the chance to be part of something great.
Here are seven reasons why you should create your own fundraising event:
- Renew hope: charitable initiatives teach us to look at the world with more hope. Altruism reinforces positive thoughts and the hope for better times. Is there anything better than keeping the sparkle in our eyes?
- Share the gift of giving: consider holding a fundraiser for your birthday or during the holiday season. Take the guesswork out of gift exchanges while promoting awareness for a cause you support. When you have what you need, the best gift you can receive is giving.
- Showcase your talent: sing, dance, run, stack glasses — whatever your passion is, show it to the world. You will have a great time.
- Have fun with others: from a soccer match between friends to a game night with your co-workers, any get-together can become a good fundraising event. It’s a win-win situation when you put some friendly competition towards a common goal.
- It’s easy: there are many ways to create a fundraising campaign that will send donations straight to the organization you chose. Choose your cause, the organization, set a goal, and share it with the world, just like that. Checking out CanadaHelps and GoFundMe would be a great place to start.
- Spread hope and inspiration: acts of altruism reinforce hope and optimism about the future. In a world so full of daily challenges, a dose of solidarity is sure to inspire those who want to follow a good example. You can show it is simple and easy to fundraise for a cause. People will follow your example.
- Do it for you! There is nothing wrong with feeling good about yourself. Enjoy a sense of pride and accomplishment knowing that you have positively affected someone’s life. You don’t have to wait for your birthday, Christmas parties, or for some organization volunteer to knock on your door to get involved. It is in your hands.
Thinking about starting? Start now!
The amount raised doesn’t matter, the important thing is taking action. For example, with as little as two hundred dollars, Shelter Movers can empower a family leaving an abusive household by helping them bring their precious belongings with them on their journey to lives free of violence.
As a national, volunteer-powered charitable organization, Shelter Movers relies on the generosity of our allies to fight gender-based violence. Allies like you! We offer the only service of this kind in Canada, providing free moving and storage services to survivors of abuse.
Take a look at some of the outstanding people who’ve hosted an event that raised awareness and donations for Shelter Movers here.